Dinarik’s Birthday Brownies with the peanuts!
Well as you know it’s Dinara Safina’s 24th birthday today! She’s currently in Stuttgart loving the tournament, about to receive her chocolate cake and tweeting up a storm.
I also am alive! I know I haven’t been posting a lot but I guess you need that in order to miss the blog and come back to it! And it’s a nice to know I did a dessert post on DinaRA’s birthday to herald my comeback as well as hers (Please be kind on her back, God)
This are some CRAY-ZAY brownies and it makes about 30 handy sized pieces so no need to double the recipe! It’s from Ina Garten and you know how crazy she gets in the Hamptons! Ha! Ha!…
Yes she uses a pound of butter and about 1000 grams of chocolate but it’s all good when you think of it in moderation. Just have 1 brownie a day. Like you have 1 drink in the morning, another during the afternoon and another during the evening!
The recipe can be found here!
- 1 pound/450 grams unsalted butter
- 1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (I used 1 pound and 6 oz and just used Cadbury’s rather than chips. Save 1 oz to put in the brownie mix at the end to make it even more chocolatey)
- 6 ounces/200 grams Dark chocolate
- 6 medium eggs
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules (I used 1 teaspoon which I added to the melted butter and chocolate)
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups sugar (I used agave nectar cos I’ve broken up with sugar and I used about 125 ml)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I forgot to add the 1/4 cup!)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cups chopped walnuts
- I also added dollops of crunchy peanut butter for obvious reasons😉 But only if you are a über fan of Dinara’s, sorry!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/Gas mark 4. I bought 2 foil roasting trays which measured 31cm x 21cm and sprayed oil onto them.
- Melt together the butter, the dark chocolate and the unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water. I added the coffee granules here. Allow to cool slightly. In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, vanilla, and agave. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, sift together 1 cup of flour, the baking powder, and salt. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the walnuts and 1 ounce of chocolate chunks you saved in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup of flour, then add them to the chocolate batter. (I forgot to do this :P) Pour into the greased tray and drop small spoonfuls of peanut butter and swirl it in.
- Bake for 35 minutes until a toothpick comes out semi-clean. (I removed from oven when moist crumbs stuck to toothpick) Do not overbake. Allow to cool thoroughly, refrigerate, and cut into squares.